Well there is a little more to it than that so maybe I should clarify. I bought a 1972 cj5 with a 304 v8 and a laundry list of problems. If you know me you are probably aware that until last week the only thing that I would likely be blogging about would be my motorcycle. Unfortunately last week I sold my perfectly good motorcycle, a '02 Kawasaki Vulcan 800, and bought an old Jeep with issues. This was prompted by back to back motorcycle accidents in my family. First I laid my bike down outside of Montgomery. I was out on a little 3 hour ride with a friend and took a corner to fast, long story short it cost me about a thousand bucks between doctors bills and parts for the bike but I was at work the next day so I wasn't seriously injured.
The same cannot be said about the second accident which happened about a week later. My mom was the victim in the next accident and she was not nearly as lucky as I was. She totaled her brand new Harley, broke over a dozen bones and spent two weeks in the hospital. Before you get too worried she is doing fine now, a couple months in a wheelchair and neck brace but she is at home and was playing with my kids on the 4th of July. The big result of her accident for me was that the bike had to go. It finally put into perspective what I was risking every time I got on the bike for a joy ride or even to save a couple bucks on gas.
Enter Jeep fever...
As soon as I decided to sell the bik
e I knew I had to find a replacement. I went through a few ideas before settling on a Jeep, a few of them were: an old truck, a kayak and or canoe, screening in my back porch, bicycles and fishing. After a few hours looking at trucks, most of which were farm trucks or rust buckets, I started thinking that maybe a Jeep was a good alternative. I quickly did a little research and was amazed that it had taken me this long to realize that Jeeps are awesome. A few of the benefits that began going through my mind were: convertible, back seat for kids, take out back seat for storage, able to pull a trailer ie for boat or camping supplies, cool factor (that is right I said cool factor because Jeeps are freakin cool), reliability (I mean the ones I was looking at had been on the road for 30+ years right), big supply and affordable price.
Now that I knew what I wanted it was only a matter of finding the money (ie selling my bike) and finding the Jeep. I must have looked at hundreds of them online before my wife forwarded me one that I fell in love with....
ok this isn't where I thought I would stop but my wife is giving me the stink eye and I gotta go buy jack stands for the Jeep... next post will pick up here and will be more detailed data about the Jeep, what I have done and what I need to do.
No comments:
Post a Comment